January 18, 2010

Apocalypse Vol.1 No.7

Contingency Aces (Jon Racherbaumer)
Four aces are shown and the spectator thinks of one of the aces. The spectator names the ace he is thinking of and when the magician spreads the aces, the one that they named is now face up. This is repeated again, and possibly, again. The explanation for this effect is quite large and may seem complicated at first, but it really is a pretty fast effect and a direct effect. It's certainly a nice lead-in to a Twisting The Aces effect, or just as a middle piece in an ace routine. Make sure you practice this effect many times before doing the effect for live people because you need to be very familiar with the actions of the routine. It requires no table space, it's quick, it only uses four aces, I really like it.

Slippery Silver (Geoff Latta)
Four coins one at a time travel across to the other hand. It's a simple effect accomplished in a good way. Let me reiterate, I am NOT a coin worker so I haven't even tried this out. From what I read of it, it looked like a pretty good clean handling of a coins across, but nothing earth-shattering. You need a standard coin gaff which, if you "do" coins, you will most likely have.

Staple and Stab (Paul Harris & Looy Simonoff)
A spectator selects and signs a card which is lost into the pack. Two back-to-back stapled jokers are displayed and given to the spectator who stabs them into the deck. When he looks at the card next to the stapled jokers it is seen to be a joker with staple holes and all! The spectator turns over the stapled cards and now their SIGNED card is stapled to the joker! I love this effect! I think it's simple, surprising, original, memorable, different etc. You get the point! Obviously there are some practicality factors that have to be taken into consideration, you are using stapled cards! This is excellent, don't overlook it!

Stapled Stunner (Richard Kaufman)
You ask a spectator to staple two jokers back-to-back, which they do. A spectator then selects and signs a card which is shuffled into the deck. You make a "magical gesture" and then rip one of the jokers off of the stapled pair and, lo and behold, their card is seen to have been sandwiched in between the two jokers that the spectator stapled! This is pretty cool but one thing about it just seems a bit "not right", if you know what I mean. I'm a bit torn on this one, what do you guys think about it? (Directed at the people who own it)

Ken Krenzel's Version (Ken Krenzel)
This is Ken Krenzels's Version of the effect (of course). In this version Ken uses a stabled business card and makes it visually attach to the spectator's signed selection. This one is a killer give-away and is something that I could see myself performing. It's practical and the main move can be substituted for other similar moves (You'll see what I mean when you read it). Probably my second favorite or favorite version of this line of effects.

Circular Spell (Jonathan Townsend)
Another darn spellbound change. You make a circular magic pass over a copper coin and it changes to a silver coin. I personally can't stand the spellbound plot and I've never understood it. It just seems like one of those plots that magicians love to obsess over and come up with hundreds of methods that all accomplish the same thing. My opinion aside, it's a fairly good change. Looks nice, but it will take some practice to make it look really smooth.

Monte Plus Plus (Ken Krenzel)
This is the improvement I was talking about last week for the Monte Plus effect. The working is about the same but the small(?) improvement makes the effect SO much better. Oh, and also a bent corner is added to effect that gives it more depth. It still doesn't seem like a routine by itself. Learn Monte Plus and then immediately learn this. You'll be glad you did!

Columns:

Unlabelled Columns
Harry Summarizes his trip to the Eddie Fetcher close-up convention

Tidings
A conversation between two unnamed magicians talking about a mentalist putting down other mentalists for the sake of making himself look better. Also, writing about more exposure in a magazine, a story about a performance of The Two Card Trick, and a short credit for Kenomental and a death notice.

Closing:

(Wipes sweat off head) I almost was late, but I delivered! :D I had another paper to do for science so I was doing that most of today and yesterday and I had some other things to do so I *almost* had to push it back, but I got it out anyway! Now I just have to study for that Latin test...

If you have any comments, as usual, just write them below. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment